Meet Our Staff

PASTOR
Rev. Ted A. Hartley

Rev. Ted Hartley has been a United Methodist pastor for 30 years and before that he was Professor of Ethics and World Religions at Lakeland Community College in Illinois as well as a band director at a public school.

His undergraduate degree was from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale and a Masters at VanderCook College of Music in Chicago. Rev. Hartley did his Seminary work at Garrett Evangelical Seminary and Methodist Theological Seminary in Ohio. He has served and been a leader on several Jurisdictional and Annual Conference

Rev. Hartley is also a composer of orchestra and band music and has composed music for the Harbor Springs, Charlevoix Community Bands, John A. Logan Band & Orchestra, Decatur Youth Orchestra, and others. He was a pastor in Mt. Zion, Bethany, Charleston, Virden, Johnston City, Stiritz, Abingdon and Farina; all UMC located in Illinois. Rev. Hartley is single and has a son Chris, a professional musician in Peoria, IL with two grandchildren, Harrison age 5, and Evelyn age 3.

Rev. Hartley has been coming to Bayview, MI since 1991 and recently became a cottage owner in 2014. He also answered the call to pastoral ministry right in front of Hall Auditorium. Rev. Hartley’s Great, Great, Uncle was one of the first Methodist Circuit Rider Preachers in Illinois as well as President of the Illinois Senate.

ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY
TREASURER

Jennifer Crow

PIANIST CHOIR DIRECTOR

Stephanie Haney

PRAISE BAND LEADER
CHILDREN’S CHURCH LEADER

Kathy Bunting

SUNDAY SCHOOL
YOUTH DIRECTOR

Nancy Hoelscher

CUSTODIAN

Heather Lehman

Our Story

In 1858, Methodism was introduced to the village of Eureka by a traveling pioneer Methodist preacher, “Uncle” Zadock Hall of Worth Township. Hall found 13 listeners, and the group began meeting in a wagon shop near the railroad, organizing into the Eureka Methodist Episcopal Church on Dec. 5th of that year.

In 1862, a 36’ x 50’ frame church building was erected at a cost of $4,000.00. Church membership grew and in 1881 Eureka was chosen as the site of the lively and successful “camp meetings” sponsored by the Streator District of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1883, the church building on Callender Street was built.

As the church moved into the 20th century, the Ladies’ Aid Society and the Epworth League for Youth were mainstays, providing opportunities for Christian mission, service and learning. In 1918-1920 the church had no preacher and no worship service, but the Ladies’ Aid and the Sunday school kept functioning.
A name change to Eureka Methodist Church occurred in 1939. Another name change to Eureka United Methodist Church occurred in 1968.

For over 160 years, and under the leadership of nearly 60 pastors, the Methodist Church has opened its doors to all those wishing to meet Jesus Christ and grow in faith and service.

Historical Photos

Original Building

First Addition